Thursday 24 November 2016

Speedy Burger Buns









On the day I planned to make burgers for dinner, I got the kids off to school, made the beds, did the breakfast dishes, loaded the washing machine, went to the gym, did the grocery shopping, which included buying all the things I needed to make burgers for dinner... Except the burger buns!!! I forgot the burger buns… and they were on my shopping list (insert eyeroll here).  Sooooo, I made my own. They took about as much time to make as it would have taken for me to find my keys, get back in the car, drive to the bakery, find a parking space, park the car, wait in line to be served, find the car and drive home.  I ended up with these delicious homemade burger buns on my table, all because I don’t live within walking distance of a bakery… which is probably a good thing.


Speedy Burger Buns
For the Dough:
2 tablespoons dry yeast
280ml lukewarm water
60ml sunflower oil
60g caster sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 – 3½ cups bakers flour
For the Top:
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for the egg wash
1 tablespoon sesame seeds for sprinkling

Make the Dough:
Line two baking trays with baking paper. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 220°C.

Put the water into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add the yeast and sugar and mix briefly. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, egg, salt and enough of the flour to make a smooth soft dough. Mix for 3 – 4 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for a few minutes, until smooth and elastic. Divide into 12 even portions (about 80g each) and roll each portion into a ball. Place six balls on each of the prepared baking tray, leaving enough room between each ball to allow for rising and spreading during baking. Cover with tea towels and leave to rest for 10 minutes.

Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown on top. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment