Wednesday 25 October 2017

Cannoli with Ricotta and Coffee











Cannoli will always remind me of The Sopranos... Just when I though I was out, they pull me back in...  and that's okay with me.  


Cannoli with Ricotta and Coffee
Makes 6
slightly adapted from here

For the Cases:
150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons strong, brewed espresso
1 egg white
15g lard
Sunflower oil for deep-frying

For the Filling:
250g fresh ricotta
90g icing sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
½ teaspoon instant coffee powder
60g dark chocolate, finely chopped

Make the Cases:
Put the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso and egg white into a food processor and pulse until the mixture come together as a dough.  Knead briefly on a lightly floured board until smooth, shape into a ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.

On a lightly floured board, roll the pastry out until it is about 2mm thick.  Cut it into six 9cm squares.

Wrap each square around a metal cannoli tube, wetting the corners that meat so that they seal together.

Heat the oil to 170C and drop the cannoli in two at a time. Cook for about 5 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well. Leave to cool, then slip the tubes out.

Make the Filling:
Put all the filling ingredients into a bowl and stir well to combine. Spoon the filling into a piping bag and pipe the mixture into the cooled cases from either end.  Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.


1 comment:

  1. I have been dreaming about cannoli lately. I don't know what that says about me, but I do know I'll have to make these soon to fulfill my craving!

    ReplyDelete